Skip to main content

A WRITTEN TESTIMONY - Jay Electronica - ALBUM REVIEW

ARE YOU AWARE THAT THIS IS IMMENSE?


Before delving into "A Written Testimony", I was an unassuming listener. Unaware of what to expect but I'm a long time hip hop fan, so new albums always intrigue me. I'm undoubtedly a fan of Jay Z, a big fan, however Jay Electronica was not someone on my radar until recently. All I knew was that one of my favourite rappers would at least have an influence on the flavour of this body of work somehow, and so, the cause of my sparked interest.

It's a relatively short album - 39 minutes from start to finish - yet I approached the intake of it a little chunk at a time. For while it is short, it is dense, layered and packed full of gems to unearth. So let's unpick the stitches.

________________________________________                 
PRESS PLAY


We start off with some free spoken word. Words of power given by Louis Farrakhan, the political activist, speaking wisdom for the world of today. Then, alongside what could be mistaken for a jazzed up French film soundtrack, we hear from Jay Z before we ever hear Jay Electronica speak, on this his own first album. I mean, if I  knew Jay Z, I might also be tempted to give him the opening bars but I have to say I find that to be a choice decision. What's for sure is every choice in these 39 minutes was decided with care. From doing some research I've discovered that this album has been long awaited since he dropped a mixtape in 2007. I now don't feel quite so bad for how long we've had to wait for a new Frank Ocean album - fans of Jay Electronica could have been forgiven for giving up hope. Apparently "A Written Testimony" was recorded over a period of 40 days and 40 nights.

When we do hear from Jay Electronica, it's immediately clear to me why he's earned Jay Z's approval and why he's part of the Roc Nation roster. Rhymes and sentence structures that deviate from the typical and the easily done, I personally find myself paying attention to everything said. He has an awareness and a sensitivity to the current world that he allows to spill into his lyrics.

________________________________________

I continued to listen through until "The Neverending Story" before pausing to browse social media a little. After stumbling across some opinions of the album, I jumped back in, skipping two tracks straight to "Flux Capacitor" which I'd read was thoroughly seasoned by Jay Z. True as day, it is. To me it kind of sums up the album, an abstract, layered chop together of all sorts of sounds. Some good political discussion, matters of the heart, cutting truths, some classic Hov bars, an homage to Biggie from Jay Electronica - and is that a Rihanna sample?

This album really does have a lot more Jay Z than anyone could expect. It's pretty much equal parts both Jays without Hov's name listed as a feature at all. Not only that but they're rapping over slinkier beats than we've ever heard before - that's with over two decades of music making under Jay Z's belt. Who can say they're still on top of their game twenty five years in?
Apparently Jay Electronica was chief producer but the project was also handled by the likes of Swizz Beats and No I.D. amongst others. Oh, and what could otherwise remain an unknown fact is Beyoncé made the album artwork. Who can say they've had legends offer hands in cooking up their first album?

________________________________________

Interestingly, one of the songs I originally skipped was "Shiny Suit Theory", which I'd now call my favourite on the record. It makes you feel like you're in the audience of a televised therapy session, with laughter and applause tracks included. In my opinion, Jay Z's verse on it is one of the best on the record.

"In this manila envelope,
The results of my insanity.
Quack said I crossed the line
Between real life and fantasy."
- Jay Z, "Shiny Suit Theory"

________________________________________

I don't want to spoil how good the wordplay is so honestly, listen to it.

Towards the end of the album we begin to slow it down, with songs like "Fruits Of The Spirit" and "Ezekiel's Wheel". Ones you could easily let wash over you without listening to what's actually being said, but when you do you'll see they're worth it for the Marvel and Star Wars references just as much as the spiritual expression.

The album closes with the most mellow of all, "A.P.I.D.T.A.", a reflection on lost loved ones.

"I go to my Lord quietly,
teardrops on our faces,
teardrops on my face,
It's like teardrops become
waterfalls by the time
they reach my laces.
My eyelids is like levees
but my tear ducts is like
glaciers
As I contemplate creation,
the salt that
heals my wounds
pour out my eyes
just like libations"
- Jay Electronica, "A.P.I.D.T.A."


________________________________________

To reflect,
I'd consider Jay Electronica to be still very much a mystery to me but I thank him for what he allowed us to have in these ten tracks which will be - and already have been - played on repeat. It's fascinating to see what direction hip hop is taking and how it evolves everyday.

To sum up,
AN ABSTRACT CHOP TOGETHER OF ALL SORTS OF SOUNDS.
What do you think?

Comments